Skip to main content

Back from the old road

Things are not quite what they seem in this micro-fiction tale by Russell Cavanagh.

My stomach had rumbled steadily over the past hundred or so miles. There was nothing for it, I'd have to find somewhere to pull in and eat. As luck would have it I saw just the place - a little truckers restaurant sat back from the old road.

        Inside and out cane seats sat under clean formica tabletops. There were no other customers around, maybe because it was by now way past lunchtime. A coffee machine hissed from the kitchen and a radio played hits from yesteryear. Soon a man wearing an apron appeared and took my order.

        As I tucked in to the generous portion of ham and eggs, followed by pancakes drowning in maple syrup and ice cream, the man told me how his family had opened the place the previous century. He said business became tight a few years ago when the local plant, a big employer, relocated south.

        "My name's John, by the way," he said, "I hate that it's me who's likely gonna put the shutters up. I started here as a boy, skipping school to work in the kitchen. But now the truck trade is good as gone." John looked to be somewhere in his early forties, which made the business seem even more sad.

        After expressing sympathy I asked for the tab. The meal was dirt cheap and I was stuffed. I tipped generously before saying goodbye. He smiled back his thanks then returned to the kitchen and his radio.

        I went on driving before less than half an hour later my stomach started to rumble again. Now I was even hungrier than before. Given the big meal I'd just had that made no sense.

        There then appeared a mobile snack-bar parked up in a lay-by. I pulled in, got out and joined its small queue. "Double-burger, onions, mustard and a large black coffee," I ordered when my turn came.

        The man serving looked the mirror image of the guy back at the restaurant. I had to double-take. I told him how I'd become inexplicably hungry soon after eating a late lunch just a few miles back. His face held my gaze.

        "And this was where? " he asked.

        I started to describe it to him, mentioning John and how good the food had been, especially at such a bargain price.

        "That place shut down decades ago, mister. My daddy ran it until one day he just wandered off to nobody knows where - leaving the front door open, leaving his wife and child."

        Closing his eyes, he continued, "His name was John."








CC BY-ND 4.0 Russell Cavanagh


Popular posts from this blog

Audio reading of my story "Obituary"

Read along while you listen to Canadian story-reader Heather Sherman's treatment of my slice-of-life flash-fiction  Obituary : 😎 The original story, as written: Doob was a soak who drank alone at his regular barstool in his local, where today the dark interior contrasted with a warm sunlit afternoon outside. He had extended his lunchtime drinking, skipped returning to work, had told his employer he would be out of the office to follow up an unspecified list of potential new prospects.      Donald O'Brien hated his job, hated his life.      Looking straight ahead he saw himself nursing his whisky and beer in the mirror sat behind the optics. This ritual he would repeat until, probably some time mid-evening, he would stagger back to the empty home he no longer shared with his wife.      Now well into his early thirties, Doob's hair had thinned and jowls were becoming noticeably pronounced. The creased suit he wore was just as sha...

System failure

"Indira, get the passports ready," said Kash as they approached the gate. His wife complied, and soon they were through and heading for the luggage carousel.      Once outside at the taxi rank they savoured the warm Italian afternoon. Soon they'd be sitting down to eat at their hotel.      "It was a good summer this year Kash, certainly by Scottish standards," said Indira.      "Yes," laughed her husband of almost sixty years, "a mild summer in Scotland is infinitely preferable to baking in Mumbai, just as a warm Indian winter beats freezing in Britain."      Both long retired, Kash and Indira lived on multiple pensions earned working in the UK and in their native country. As usual on their seasonal changes of residence they were making an en-route stopover in Europe, this year Rome. It had become a routine they both prized greatly.      After dining at the hotel the couple sat out on their ro...

Junkie trash

Little slut sent me a text saying need some daddy . And now looking down at the street I see her walking her pit-bull and heading towards my stair. Unlike those other slags who've turned prematurely into crones, Seona still has a nice figure, slightly boyish, and a pretty face - that is, if you don't look too closely.      Seona knocks, and I unlock the door. She then waltzes through until she's in my bedroom. Her twenty-three years to my fifty-two, skinny jeans and panties now at her ankles, she kneels over the edge of the bed for me. This piece of our business won't take too long.      And now seated in the living room she rolls a blunt as I go and put her package together: Ket and an assortment of jellies - the usual mix - I got from my main supplier only yesterday.      I tell her, "Usual deal. Skim what you want for yourself and charge the punters whatever you like - so long as I get my grand by the end of next month....