Skip to main content

The moment he answered

The moment he answered - flash fiction story about friendship and alcoholism, written by Scottish writer Russell Cavanagh

I could tell something was wrong the moment he answered, a weariness in Ross' voice that his words couldn't hide.

     "Hi Lesley, how ya doin'?"

    "Fine, Ross. Seeing my aunt in hospital later this afternoon. Meeting my dad tonight."

    "Your aunt getting any better? She's been in for quite a while now."

    "Yeah," I said, "she's out tomorrow, assuming the tests stay clear."

    "Great news," said Ross, not entirely succeeding in his effort to sound encouraging but sincere nonetheless.

    Ross considered me to be his closest friend. This pleased me, even if he'd never have claimed that anyone's friendship with him should be considered any kind of honour, but rather, an acknowledgement of an otherwise difficult achievement. He was an oddball, sometimes funny, despite an ascetic lifestyle, but he could be trusted.

    "So what's eating you?" I said. "You sound a bit low this morning."

    "Hungover."

    "Hungover?" I replied. "I thought you were on the wagon?"

    "Exactly six months and two weeks to the day, I've now fallen off."

    "But why? It seemed so easy for you."

    He had, as far as I knew, given up the booze completely and stayed dry since before Christmas. This was unexpected news.

    "This fucking weather. This fucking country. It's July for fuck's sake."

    It was shocking to hear Ross swear more than once in an entire conversation, let alone three times in one sentence. But what passes for a summer in Scotland can get anyone down, especially on the west coast.

    "Yeah, it's shit," I agreed, "I don't blame you for feeling a bit low." Concerned that his old habit might be back, I said, "Tell me what you're thinking."

    "Well, you know I gave up because decades of overindulgence seemed finally to have caught up with me, physically and no doubt mentally too."

    "Go on," I said.

    "This shit weather can sometimes be like a trigger. We never get a proper summer here - and then it's the full-on darker, damper and colder season again before we know it."

    "Yup. Go on."

    "I watched a woman yesterday walk on the wet pavement across the street. She had on a quilted anorak, for fuck's sake. Then a guy came along and not only did he have on a long coat, but also wore a woolly hat with a bobble on top. This is fucking July, Lel," he continued, "and right now they're enjoying a heatwave not that far south of here. Neither wonder Scotland is a nation of fucking alcoholics."

    "There's more to it though, isn't there." This was a rhetorical question. I knew something deeper was eating at my friend. "What's really going on with you?"

    Ross sighed, and I could almost see him turn away from his phone in an attempt to order his thoughts.

    "You know I like my solitude?"

    I stayed silent and waited.

    "Well, lately I've felt lonely at times: Me, the man who loves to be alone, behind a locked door with the privacy button pressed."

    "What do you think changed?" I said, as much surprised as curious about his admission of loneliness.

    "Well you know my family's now all gone - my dad and brother because of the drink. You've probably also realized that I effectively ended a bunch of friendships over years of moving around the country."

    "Yeah, I know that stuff." I was sympathetic but wanted Ross to get to the nub of what was bothering him.

    "I've just run out of road. It feels like I've hit a wall or something."

    "Oh dear," I said, "I guess it's an age thing as well?" Ross was nearing retirement age, though he didn't usually harp on about that.

    "Yeah, but it's not a regret thing, about my past, awful though I can easily paint that."

    "So you're just having a good wallow?" I offered, with a gentle laugh, trying to cheer the mood of this increasingly difficult call.

    "Probably," he conceded.

    "What did you drink last night?"

    "A couple of those small tins of G&T and a nice Bordeaux."

    "You drank a whole bottle of red wine, on top of two gin and tonics?"

    "Er, yes."

    "Neither wonder you're fried and frazzled this morning," I joked.

    Just then I heard a disgusting sound, like someone clearing their sinuses and preparing to spit it out.

    "What was that noise?" I said.

    Ross laughed and said, "There's a guy walks about, usually early in the morning, back straight as if he has a poker up his jumper. He doesn't swing his arms at all, and he looks weird with his arms down at his side as he strides along. He talks loudly to himself, heaves out a bunch of snot then gobs it out. That was him, just outside my window."

    "Some kind of Tourette's?"

    "Maybe, though he doesn't spasm, and I've never heard him swear."

    "Just another of the local loons in your wee seaside village then?" I said.

    "Like I am now as well," he shot back with a laugh.


We went on to talk about the state of the world, stuff we'd seen on YouTube and shared with each other, chatted about some books we'd read recently. I felt by the end of the conversation that I had my old friend back.

    "What are you doing today?" I said, readying to wrap up the call.

    "I need to tidy the front room and hoover the floor. There's empty bags all over the place and piles of books that need putting away. The place looks like it's been ransacked." He paused, "Then there's the spiders."

    "Spiders? You surely mean pink elephants."

    "Ha ha, very funny. No, I really need to hoover."

    "Well, I need to get ready for visiting my auntie."

    "Hope - OUCH! - she's in good form," said Ross, apparently wincing with pain.

    "What happened there?" I said.

    "Pain again in my foot," he said. "Anyway, thanks for calling. Sorry about the moan. You really did cheer me up."

    "Yeah, no bother. Speak again soon," I said before hanging up.

    I thought back to a conversation we'd had last year, just before he gave up his drinking, back when he mentioned the possibility he might have chronic kidney disease.

    For fuck's sake. 





CC BY-ND 4.0 Russell Cavanagh

Proverbs 23:29–35 - KJV

Popular posts from this blog

Audio reading of my story "Obituary"

Read along while you listen to Canadian story-reader Heather Sherman's treatment of my slice-of-life flash-fiction  Obituary : 😎 The original story, as written: Doob was a soak who drank alone at his regular barstool in his local, where today the dark interior contrasted with a warm sunlit afternoon outside. He had extended his lunchtime drinking, skipped returning to work, had told his employer he would be out of the office to follow up an unspecified list of potential new prospects.      Donald O'Brien hated his job, hated his life.      Looking straight ahead he saw himself nursing his whisky and beer in the mirror sat behind the optics. This ritual he would repeat until, probably some time mid-evening, he would stagger back to the empty home he no longer shared with his wife.      Now well into his early thirties, Doob's hair had thinned and jowls were becoming noticeably pronounced. The creased suit he wore was just as sha...

London calling

"Who was that?"      "A blast from the past, Jim London," said Ross, putting down his mobile with one hand and scratching his head with the other.      "You were pretty abrupt with him," said Lesley.      "Yeah, well, fell out some years ago."      "Where did you know him from?"      "When I lived in England. We had one or two common interests, one might say."      Ross was clearly agitated by the call. He'd hoped for a relatively uninterrupted afternoon with his visitor.      "What's he like," said Lesley.      "A unique blend of considerate, kind-hearted, and supercilious dickhead," declared Ross.      "Being a wee bit judgemental there Ross?"      "Nah, just lived experience and keen observation."      "So what was he after?"      "Just what you heard. He's comin...

My body, my choice

Ross heard a commotion at the square. He went over, finding young adults of both sexes - plus a few more variations, if you believe such things - taunting a street preacher.      "Abortion is murder," proclaimed the preacher, his voice amplified through microphone and speaker.      "My body, my choice!" young adults with wombs screamed back at him.      "But it's not your body," insisted the preacher.      "My body, my choice!" screamed the empty wombs.      "From the first cell formed after conception, the foetus DNA is different from that of the mother - so abortion is murder," repeated the preacher.      "My body, my choice!" screamed the empty wombs. Now standing in front of the man, Ross turned to face the baying crowd. He held up both hands in a plea for silence.      The screaming subdued.      "Right at this moment," he announced, "I ...