A couple of packets came through my door when I was still laid in bed. I couldn't be arsed to get up and check what they were, even though postal mail is such a rarity these days.
So I lay there luxuriating, thinking it might be my invite at last for that most infamous medical procedure of our age - one I would decline, just as at the same time I wanted this hiatus to conclude.
But what had arrived actually turned out to be an annual notice of increase in local taxes and a polling card for an election I will not take part in. ("We're from the government, and we're here to help," the "nine words no American wants to hear" as President Reagan once famously said.)
A bit later after breakfasting on black coffee, orange marmalade and burnt toast, I went out into the morning sunshine for a walk.
Some ways along the street I became aware of a youth attached to a dog on the pavement behind me. I stopped, without ceremony, in order to let them both past.
No, it wasn't that I wanted to eye up the teen's ass or shapely young legs. No, not at all. It was just that a minor health issue was slowing up my stride. And anyway, I was being polite, as is befitting of my advanced age.
A couple of lads about her age rode past on bikes. One wheelied right along the road, clearly wanting to salute the girl in some phallic display worthy of Freud.
Nothing much else of note happened that day.
Matthew 5:28 - KJV
