Skip to main content

The literary agent

"The literary agent" is a fun noir-genre flash fiction by Scottish writer Russell Cavanagh.


John climbed the unlit staircase with caution. A smell of old polish filled his nostrils, adding to the damp odour rising off his lambswool.

    The top step was the only one out of the entire flight that had creaked and John now turned to search for the right room: It surely had to be the one spilling light out from beneath its oak-panelled door.

    He found the door unlocked and walked in, his breathing still labouring after the stair.

    Inside what constituted a library sat a man huddled over an old colonial style desk upon which he dealt cards to himself. A cheap cigar hung from his bottom lip. He didn't look up.

    "You bring it?" the man grunted.

    "Sure," said John. He took off his hat then reached into his inside pocket to pull out a long slim package.

    The man gestured towards a cracked leather chair sat opposite his own. "You ready to play?"

    "Yeah, but first I want you to read the manuscript, just like we agreed." John slid the envelope across the desk, disturbing the cards.

    "We'll get to that soon enough," the man laughed, barely hiding the condescension in his voice. Setting the document aside, still in its envelope, he said, "C'mon let's play a little game first."

    "I want you to read it now," said John, starting to feel annoyed.

    "OK, but I hope it's not full of purple prose," sighed the man, his tone now flattened to one of resignation.

    Right then a bolt of lightning cracked overhead before thunder rumbled on outside. Rain started to lash down on the roof and a distant window could be heard banging open and shut. It was set to be a dark and stormy night.

    "Just read my story," spat John.




CC BY-ND 4.0 Russell Cavanagh   

Popular posts from this blog

The last sane man on Earth

BACKGROUND: The year was 2029 and martial law now covered what was previously considered to be the civilized world. This started with Emperor Stump suspending the US Constitution a couple of months before the 2026 mid-terms - elections he knew he'd lose heavily if they went ahead. It was Stump's intention to take advantage of worldwide chaos that arose from illegal wars raging across Europe and West Asia. Those wars were started on behalf of a species of degenerate parasites called the Apestein Class. That species, aliens who'd become the ruling class on Earth, had been considered contrary to all mankind almost since the dawn of time. CURRENT : A report received by the Edinburgh station, a hub of New Scotland Enforcement, said that grid surveillance had detected a possible anomaly in the system. That anomaly was a person of interest, a man who needed investigation and, if necessary, dealt with - a subject of the New Imperial society who wasn't conforming. A...

Daddy issues, perhaps?

The young English woman came with her female dog and stood directly in front of Rich. Despite facing him, she stared over his left shoulder - obviously hoping to elicit a reaction, clearly daring him to say anything to her, anything at all.      They exchanged short hard looks. Then, apparently satisfied, the woman moved back a few yards and turned away. Rich merely resumed his thoughts, soaking in the rural summer morning and savouring nature's sweet bouquet.      Now recognizing the dog, Rich recalled how a few years earlier he'd made some warm remark to the woman about it being cute, not least as it had looked at him, wanting to be petted. She'd reacted by yanking the poor beast away, quite violently and unexpectedly.      Then, as now, she'd glared at him as though he were an abomination, some shameful pariah, some criminal worthy of hanging, a miscreant deserving a birching, a plague-carrier to be driven out by peasants brandishi...

Dreams to die for

  I dreamt of my mother last night, or more likely this morning before waking. I was playing piano, and she became annoyed at this, turning up her transistor radio huffily. I got quite angry, and she looked at me afraid. I kissed her forehead and listened to the programme with her - some documentary about trouble occurring in some far country. Then I went on seamlessly to dream about my father. We were sharing a suite of rooms in a low-budget hotel. He went out of the main room, I think to take a shower or have a bath, as two small dogs tried to steal food from a plate sat on the arm of a chair, craftily thinking no one was watching them. I left the suite to go exploring and found myself in a restaurant. Someone called my name from a group of women who wanted me to sit with them. I vaguely recognized their faces but certainly knew one from when I had worked with her - a long time ago - and when I had also asked her, without success, for a date. So I asked again, and this time she s...