Skip to main content

Junkie trash #2

"Junkie trash #2" is a slice-of-life short story by author Russell Cavanagh about drug culture on Scotland's west coast.

When I first moved into my flat several years ago junkies and other neds would gather outside my window after dark. Occasionally they'd knock on the glass, apparently expecting some kind of reaction. Sometimes they just hung around chatting in subdued tones on the street.

    The previous tenant was a man called Kyle. I never met Kyle but found out from a neighbour that he was taking psychiatric medication. He had severe mental health problems caused by a chronic drug addiction which had resulted in paranoia, manic schizophrenia and other related conditions.

    The gang had completely taken over Kyle's life. They would bully him into giving up his welfare benefits and his medication (which they then cut with other substances to make what's known as Street Valium). Apparently Kyle went through such hell on an almost daily basis.

    Eventually rescued and rehoused elsewhere by the local authority's social services department, Kyle hasn't been back here since. Good for Kyle, I say, hoping he's now faring better in every respect.

    Why, dear reader, am I telling you all of this? Well, the junkies have now closed in again, this time on another tenant living in my stair. Joe, his name, also has serious psychiatric issues.

    These scum - mostly the same people who tormented Kyle - those who haven't yet died of an overdose - are taking over Joe's life exactly like they did Kyle's.

    Junkies and neds are therefore back in my stair. Sometimes they even unload and divvy up contraband from their shoplifting sprees, often taking delight in kicking open the stair's so-called security door upon arrival.

    They're not a pretty bunch either. The females are prematurely aged crones whose skin, like the men's, exhibits some form of living-dead putrefaction. Any self-respect departed these dead souls long ago.

    Indeed, Joe - who I was told used to offer himself as a male prostitute in order to finance his habit - has been on the periphery of this group at least as far back as the Kyle episode. Presumably Joe is now the runt of the litter. What goes around comes around.

    Given I'm a man of faith, a fundamental Christian, one might expect me to want to intervene in order to help rescue Joe - and I've given it a thought, albeit very briefly. But the truth is that Joe is as much a nasty little bastard as the rest of them - and that's not a judgement, just an observation.

    So I'm going to let it all play out and try to keep my own head low. I did deal with a few of them when they were taking liberties outside my own front door recently, but with God clearly using the Devil as his janitor in order to take out the trash, I'll make sure to stand clear and just watch.


 

 

CC BY-ND 4.0 Russell Cavanagh

Romans 1:28 - KJV

Popular posts from this blog

Audio reading of my story "Obituary"

Read along while you listen to Canadian story-reader Heather Sherman's treatment of my slice-of-life flash-fiction  Obituary : 😎 The original story, as written: Doob was a soak who drank alone at his regular barstool in his local, where today the dark interior contrasted with a warm sunlit afternoon outside. He had extended his lunchtime drinking, skipped returning to work, had told his employer he would be out of the office to follow up an unspecified list of potential new prospects.      Donald O'Brien hated his job, hated his life.      Looking straight ahead he saw himself nursing his whisky and beer in the mirror sat behind the optics. This ritual he would repeat until, probably some time mid-evening, he would stagger back to the empty home he no longer shared with his wife.      Now well into his early thirties, Doob's hair had thinned and jowls were becoming noticeably pronounced. The creased suit he wore was just as sha...

System failure

"Indira, get the passports ready," said Kash as they approached the gate. His wife complied, and soon they were through and heading for the luggage carousel.      Once outside at the taxi rank they savoured the warm Italian afternoon. Soon they'd be sitting down to eat at their hotel.      "It was a good summer this year Kash, certainly by Scottish standards," said Indira.      "Yes," laughed her husband of almost sixty years, "a mild summer in Scotland is infinitely preferable to baking in Mumbai, just as a warm Indian winter beats freezing in Britain."      Both long retired, Kash and Indira lived on multiple pensions earned working in the UK and in their native country. As usual on their seasonal changes of residence they were making an en-route stopover in Europe, this year Rome. It had become a routine they both prized greatly.      After dining at the hotel the couple sat out on their ro...

Junkie trash

Little slut sent me a text saying need some daddy . And now looking down at the street I see her walking her pit-bull and heading towards my stair. Unlike those other slags who've turned prematurely into crones, Seona still has a nice figure, slightly boyish, and a pretty face - that is, if you don't look too closely.      Seona knocks, and I unlock the door. She then waltzes through until she's in my bedroom. Her twenty-three years to my fifty-two, skinny jeans and panties now at her ankles, she kneels over the edge of the bed for me. This piece of our business won't take too long.      And now seated in the living room she rolls a blunt as I go and put her package together: Ket and an assortment of jellies - the usual mix - I got from my main supplier only yesterday.      I tell her, "Usual deal. Skim what you want for yourself and charge the punters whatever you like - so long as I get my grand by the end of next month....