Skip to main content

My day in town

"My day in town" is a slice-of-life short story written by Russell Cavanagh about losing access to one's son in the family courts.

Full English in mind, I walk through the door and past so many empty tables. Greek owners, I think.

    “How many?” he asks. Greek, right enough.

    “Just the one.”

    “A seat here, please,” he says, showing me to a table behind a pillar and far from any plate glass.

    I respond by turning and leaving, pointedly eyeing undeniably available window seats before passing back through the door and out into late morning sunshine.

    In the park across the street a little girl wearing pigtails and a gap-tooth smile swings her pencil legs above precious few worldly cares. She is with her mother, her father hopefully at work.

    I know the girl will forget this day, perhaps until a vague childhood recollection much later when a thousand such times and many thousand such suns have passed.

    Stay loved, little girl, I think to myself, and never lose your trust in a future as yet unknowable - not yet, anyway.

     Looking at my watch I remember I will soon be in the family court. I will be in front of a judge, pleading the case for stopping my ex-wife from taking my own young son far away and into another jurisdiction.

 

 

 

CC BY-ND 4.0 Russell Cavanagh

Mark 10:9 - KJV

Popular posts from this blog

Audio reading of my story "Obituary"

Read along while you listen to Canadian story-reader Heather Sherman's treatment of my slice-of-life flash-fiction  Obituary : 😎 The original story, as written: Doob was a soak who drank alone at his regular barstool in his local, where today the dark interior contrasted with a warm sunlit afternoon outside. He had extended his lunchtime drinking, skipped returning to work, had told his employer he would be out of the office to follow up an unspecified list of potential new prospects.      Donald O'Brien hated his job, hated his life.      Looking straight ahead he saw himself nursing his whisky and beer in the mirror sat behind the optics. This ritual he would repeat until, probably some time mid-evening, he would stagger back to the empty home he no longer shared with his wife.      Now well into his early thirties, Doob's hair had thinned and jowls were becoming noticeably pronounced. The creased suit he wore was just as sha...

System failure

"Indira, get the passports ready," said Kash as they approached the gate. His wife complied, and soon they were through and heading for the luggage carousel.      Once outside at the taxi rank they savoured the warm Italian afternoon. Soon they'd be sitting down to eat at their hotel.      "It was a good summer this year Kash, certainly by Scottish standards," said Indira.      "Yes," laughed her husband of almost sixty years, "a mild summer in Scotland is infinitely preferable to baking in Mumbai, just as a warm Indian winter beats freezing in Britain."      Both long retired, Kash and Indira lived on multiple pensions earned working in the UK and in their native country. As usual on their seasonal changes of residence they were making an en-route stopover in Europe, this year Rome. It had become a routine they both prized greatly.      After dining at the hotel the couple sat out on their ro...

Junkie trash

Little slut sent me a text saying need some daddy . And now looking down at the street I see her walking her pit-bull and heading towards my stair. Unlike those other slags who've turned prematurely into crones, Seona still has a nice figure, slightly boyish, and a pretty face - that is, if you don't look too closely.      Seona knocks, and I unlock the door. She then waltzes through until she's in my bedroom. Her twenty-three years to my fifty-two, skinny jeans and panties now at her ankles, she kneels over the edge of the bed for me. This piece of our business won't take too long.      And now seated in the living room she rolls a blunt as I go and put her package together: Ket and an assortment of jellies - the usual mix - I got from my main supplier only yesterday.      I tell her, "Usual deal. Skim what you want for yourself and charge the punters whatever you like - so long as I get my grand by the end of next month....