Skip to main content

Old money

"Old money" is a nostalgic flash fiction story written by Scottish author Russell Cavanagh.

He's chatting with a customer in an otherwise empty shop. Once she leaves I'll go in. I prefer it quiet.

    I love my visits here. The books cost no more than a pound or two, and sometimes the very latest titles are sat there waiting for the right person.

    "Good morning," he says once I'm through the door. On the counter in front of him sits a stack of new donations, some handed in by the woman just before me.

    "Hello," I say. A nervous flutter now settles in my chest.

    My usual routine is to browse the CRIME & DETECTIVE shelves first, then the SCI-FI, next the CLASSICS & POETRY. I'll often finish up by searching out my favourite authors in the alphabetically sorted general fiction section.

    Today I'm blessed to find a school poetry book. It's cloth-bound with a label pasted inside that lists pupils' names, the forms they were in and the dates they held the book - all written in deep blue and black inks that the years haven't yet faded. It's in beautiful condition and seems to date back to the 1950s or '60s.

    "That's 70p please," he says, "or if you prefer, fourteen shillings."

    A wave of what I take to be nostalgia surges through me, steals my breath away.

    "How much?" I manage to reply. I heard him fine, just want to hear him say it again.

    "Eh, 14/- to you, madame."

    "I think you'll find it only says 10/6 on the back cover," I tease.

    He smiles a beautiful smile and I hand him my coins, all the while wondering how many other women have wanted to kiss those lips like I do right now.


 

 

 CC BY-ND 4.0 Russell Cavanagh 

Popular posts from this blog

Audio reading of my story "Obituary"

Read along while you listen to Canadian story-reader Heather Sherman's treatment of my slice-of-life flash-fiction  Obituary : 😎 The original story, as written: Doob was a soak who drank alone at his regular barstool in his local, where today the dark interior contrasted with a warm sunlit afternoon outside. He had extended his lunchtime drinking, skipped returning to work, had told his employer he would be out of the office to follow up an unspecified list of potential new prospects.      Donald O'Brien hated his job, hated his life.      Looking straight ahead he saw himself nursing his whisky and beer in the mirror sat behind the optics. This ritual he would repeat until, probably some time mid-evening, he would stagger back to the empty home he no longer shared with his wife.      Now well into his early thirties, Doob's hair had thinned and jowls were becoming noticeably pronounced. The creased suit he wore was just as sha...

System failure

"Indira, get the passports ready," said Kash as they approached the gate. His wife complied, and soon they were through and heading for the luggage carousel.      Once outside at the taxi rank they savoured the warm Italian afternoon. Soon they'd be sitting down to eat at their hotel.      "It was a good summer this year Kash, certainly by Scottish standards," said Indira.      "Yes," laughed her husband of almost sixty years, "a mild summer in Scotland is infinitely preferable to baking in Mumbai, just as a warm Indian winter beats freezing in Britain."      Both long retired, Kash and Indira lived on multiple pensions earned working in the UK and in their native country. As usual on their seasonal changes of residence they were making an en-route stopover in Europe, this year Rome. It had become a routine they both prized greatly.      After dining at the hotel the couple sat out on their ro...

Junkie trash

Little slut sent me a text saying need some daddy . And now looking down at the street I see her walking her pit-bull and heading towards my stair. Unlike those other slags who've turned prematurely into crones, Seona still has a nice figure, slightly boyish, and a pretty face - that is, if you don't look too closely.      Seona knocks, and I unlock the door. She then waltzes through until she's in my bedroom. Her twenty-three years to my fifty-two, skinny jeans and panties now at her ankles, she kneels over the edge of the bed for me. This piece of our business won't take too long.      And now seated in the living room she rolls a blunt as I go and put her package together: Ket and an assortment of jellies - the usual mix - I got from my main supplier only yesterday.      I tell her, "Usual deal. Skim what you want for yourself and charge the punters whatever you like - so long as I get my grand by the end of next month....